September 1, 2006
- First interest rates rise affecting the drivers of the US economy, housing, but before that auto production goes from bull to a bear markets.
- This impacts many other industries and the jobs report. An economy is either rising at a rising rate or business activity is falling at an increasing rate. That is economic law 101. There is no such thing in any market as a Plateau of Prosperity or Cinderella – Goldilocks situations.
- We have witnessed the Dow rise on economic news indicating deceleration of activity. This continues until major corporations announced poor earnings, making the Dow fall faster than it rose, moving it deeply into the red.
- The formula economically is inherent in #2 which is lower economic activity equals lower profits.
- Lower profits leads to lower Federal Tax revenues.
- Lower Federal tax revenues in the face of increased Federal spending causes geometric, not arithmetic, rises in the US Federal Budget deficit. This is also true for cities & States as it is for the Federal government.
- The increased US Federal Budget deficit in the face of a US Trade Deficit increases the US Current Account Deficit.
- The US Current Account Balance is the speedometer of the money exiting the US into world markets (deficit).
- It is this deficit that must be met by incoming investment in the US in any form. It could be anything from businesses, equities to Treasury instruments. We are already seeing a fall off in the situation of developing nations carrying the spending habits of industrial nations; a contradiction in terms.
- If the investment by non US entities fails to meet the exiting dollars by all means, then the US must turn within to finance the shortfall.
- Assuming the US turns inside to finance all maturities, interest rates will rise with the long term rates moving fastest regardless of prevailing business conditions.
- This will further contract business activity and start a downward spiral of unparalleled dimension because the size of US debt already issued is of unparalleled dimension.
Therefore as you get to #12 you are automatically right back at #1. This is an economic downward spiral.
I heard all this “slow business” as negative to gold talk in the 70s. It was totally wrong then. It will be exactly the same now.
You might have already seen this but wanted to sure you had. It only reveals what your formula has told us was coming.
Report to the Secretary of the Treasury
from the Treasury Borrowing Advisory Committee
of the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association
February 4, 2009
Dear Mr. Secretary:
Since the Committee last convened in early November, the contraction in economic activity has deepened and broadened, while financial markets have remained under duress. The unprecedented volatility present in capital markets when the Committee last met has diminished somewhat but conditions still are exceptionally challenging. Policy efforts have begun to unlock credit for select high-quality borrowers. But the magnitude of wealth destruction, the still heightened cost of economy-wide capital and the impaired system of financial intermediation continue to cast a dark cloud over the economic outlook.
Monetary and fiscal policy action now being implemented will help to prevent an even more serious downturn than otherwise would be the case. Policymakers’ efforts to restore the flow of credit to households and businesses, backstop critical financial intermediaries through capital injections and loan guarantees, and stimulate economic activity via lower interest rates, tax cuts and government spending are positives. Nonetheless, the necessary deleveraging of both the financial and household sector is considerable and has further to run.